Cinnamon Apple Braid
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour* or bread flour*
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 7/8 cups all-purpose flour* or bread flour*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 packets + 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 sticks (20 tablespoons) preferably European style butter
- 1 large egg for brushing dough
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 5 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cover with plastic and place in freezer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare apple filling. In a large saucepan place butter and sugar (brown sugar comes later) and set aside.
- Peel apples and cut in 4 wedges. Remove core and cut each wedge lengthwise in 4 slices.
- Heat saucepan until butter is melted, add apples and stir for about 5-7 minutes or until apples are al dente.
- Remove from heat and add cinnamon and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Roll dough once again to 8 X 18 inches. (Side that does not contain seam needs to expand to 18 inches). Fold dough once more as a 3-page brochure.
- Cover with plastic and place in freezer for 30 minutes or place in refrigerator instead and continue next day.
- Set aside a large cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper. A standard cookie sheet (not an insulated cookie sheet) is recommended as it will ensure bottom of pastry is thoroughly baked.
- Roll dough in a 13 X 14-inch rectangle. To make it fit, place diagonally on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Arrange apple filling in a long narrow row in center of dough strip. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- On both sides, using a French knife, cut slanted slits, 1/3 inch apart about 2 1/2 inches away from apple mixture.
- From left to right braid pastry overlapping each other. Press to seal both ends very well.
- Brush a thin layer of beaten egg on pastry and cover loosely with plastic food film and set aside.
- After about 90 minutes, turn oven to 350°F. Allow braid to rise until doubled in volume. Colder homes will require a longer time.
- Place in oven and bake for about 28-33 minutes or until a light golden brown
- For icing combine ingredients and drizzle on slightly cooled or cold Danish. Sprinkle with pecans.
Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.
This dough can be made and partly finished the fist day and finalized the next. In fact, this method is utilized by professional pastry chefs. Leaving dough overnight in fridge deepens flavor and creates a better tasting product with a flakier crust.