Cinnamon Raisin Irish Soda Bread
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups dark raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or coat with butter and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Once well blended stir in raisins and set aside.
- Combine all purpose flour with baking soda and baking powder and sift together. Stir in whole wheat flour (not necessary to sift again).
- Add sifted dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix by hand until it forms dough, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and on a lightly floured surface shape into a ball. If needed a little flour can be used.
- Place on cookie sheet and cut an x on the surface using a serrated knife. Place in oven for 50-53 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Can be eaten warm or cooled.