Citrus Capped Oaties
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 7 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon (half an orange) freshly grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons water
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 1 minute starting at low speed and increasing to medium). Add vanilla extract and scrape down sides.
- Slowly add flour and salt, mixing well for one minute on low-medium speed. Then, stir in oats until just incorporated.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough (or hand roll into 1-inch balls) and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, mix all ingredients together. Dip cooled cookies in the frosting and let dry on wire rack. Flavorings can be changed to lemon juice & zest or lime juice & zest.
These are delicious cookies and the citrus topping gives the cookies a nice refreshing twist! I made them for my moms group and everyone loved them!