Classic Apple Pie
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (Vietnamese cinnamon preferred)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 3 standard size Granny Smith apples
- 4 standard size Golden Delicious apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll half of dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle and until it is large enough to cover a 9-inch pie pan. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator.
- Cut away excess dough from sides and set on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Peel and quarter apples and cut each quarter crosswise in 8 slices. As soon as an apple is cut, toss it with the lemon juice and then in the sugar mixture to prevent browning. Add vanilla.
- Arrange apple filling in pie crust and press apples firmly to ensure as few holes as possible. Melt butter and pour over apple filling.
- Roll remaining dough about 3 credit cards thick and slightly wider than pie. Cut dough into strips 1/4-inch wide.
- Place a dough strip in center of pie. Imagine a clock and dough strip is placed at 12 noon to six.
- Place next strip that goes from 3 to 9.
- Place a strip on right side of 12-6 strip. Leave 1/4-inch of space in between.
- Place a strip of dough right below 3-9 strip. Leave 1/4-inch of space in between.
- Place a strip of dough on left side of 12-6 strip. Leave 1/4-inch space in between.
- Place a strip of dough above 3-9 strip. Leave 1/4-inch space in between.
- Repeat with step 9, then 10, 11, 12 and keep placing strips in this fashion until entire pie is covered.
- Brush pie with a thin layer of water (do not use egg wash) and sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar.
- Place in oven and after 10 minutes reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake pie for a total time of about 75 minutes. Thick bubbles (consistency of honey) should form which are visibly showing on top of pie. If pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile roll remaining scraps of dough and using a paring knife cut large leaves. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and using the back of knife deeply indent leaves to create veins. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar. Place in oven at any time, total baking time of leaves should be about 12-15 minutes.
- Place a plate which is smaller than the pie on pie. Sprinkle edges of pie with powdered sugar.
- Remove plate and decorate with baked leaves.