Classic Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 tablespoon butter flavored Crisco
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons of one large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups bleached flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Optional: Food coloring
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- Royal Icing
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the Crisco and sugar together.
- Beat one egg in another bowl and measure out 2 tablespoons. Add 2 tablespoons of egg into mixing bowl with water and vanilla until mixed.
- Then, blend in remaining dry ingredients on low speed till mixed.
- For slice and bake cookies, roll dough in a log form shape and slice to 1/4 inch thickness for baking.
- To make cut out cookies, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out desired shapes.
- Sprinkle with additional granulated sugar if desired.
- Before baking, dough can be wrapped in wax paper and chilled in refrigerator for 30 minutes to provide firmer dough for cutout cookies.
- Bake 11 to 12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet until the edges just begin to brown. Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from oven once done and cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare Basic Butter Cream Frosting or Royal Icing and add your choice of food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired.
NOTE: Recipe can be doubled using one whole egg and eliminating the water.
Cookie decoration by Bridget Edwards of @Bake at 350.