Coconut Caramel Bars
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup + 2/3 cup caramels (14 oz bag)
- 1 1/2 cups bitter or semi sweet chocolate chips
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Evenly scatter coconut on a 9x13-inch baking pan and place in oven for about 10 minutes. Keep a very close eye on coconut as it quickly burns. Remove from oven and pour coconut in a bowl and set aside.
- Lightly butter baking pan and line bottom and sides with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix butter until light and creamy, add brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract and salt and mix until well creamed and fluffy. Add toasted coconut and combine well, add flour and mix until just combined.
- Spread or press mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheet and place in oven for 12 minutes. Meanwhile unwrap caramels.
- When cookie sheet has been in oven for 10 minutes, melt first 2/3 cup of caramel using 10 second increments in a microwave oven until thick and fluid. Remove sheet from oven and using a spoon drizzle caramel over cookie sheet.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle surface evenly with chocolate chips. Melt remaining caramel and drizzle onto surface.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour before cutting into desired size.