Coconut Cream Pie Cookie Cups
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Coconut Cream Pie Filling
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups Crème Chantilly
- 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease mini muffin pans with butter and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add flour, baking powder and salt, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll 3/4 tablespoon of dough into a small circle and place it in grease mini muffin pan. Using your thumb, create an indention in the middle of the cookie.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until the edges are set. Cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely. Then pop cookie cups out of pan by flipping it over and tapping gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg yolks until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Slowly pour in milk mixture, whisking the whole time to ensure there are no lumps.
- Turn heat to medium-high and continue stirring until mixture beings to boil and thicken, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extra, coconut extract, butter and shredded coconut. Let cool. Then spoon into cookie cups. Place cookie cups in fridge to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top cookie cups with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.