Coconut Date Balls
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup dates, chopped in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 cup chopped nuts of choice, optional
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- In a saucepan melt butter until just melted and is not very warm.
- Using a firm whisk, quickly whisk in eggs, add sugar and whisk vigorously.
- Add dates, vanilla and salt and cook over medium heat while constantly stirring with a firm whisk or heat resistant spatula. The mixture will boil after about 5 to 7 minutes and can then be removed from heat source.
- Add rice crispy cereal and nuts and stir to combine.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, drop even mounds of still warm mixture onto coconut. Roll in coconut and let cool.