Coconut Ice Cream Pie
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract or 1/3 cup coconut liquor (optional)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil (any vegetable type)
- In a bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and salt and combine well. Add coconut.
- Press 2/3 of mixture firmly onto sides and bottom of a deep dish 9-inch pie shell. If mixture seems too dry and does not want to hold together, add another tablespoon of butter. (Some coconut brands are drier than others.)
- Place in freezer until completely solid.
- Prepare ice cream by bringing milk, sugar, and salt to a full boil. Remove from heat and place in an ice bath until completely cold. Add whipping cream and vanilla extract. Add coconut extract or liquor if using.
- Make certain that mixture is very cold before churning. Churn to ice cream makers directions.
- Spread half of ice cream into crust and sprinkle with almost all remaining coconut mixture. (Keep a couple tablespoons for the surface.)
- Cover with remaining ice cream and coconut mixture.
- Place in freezer for about 4 hours or overnight.
- In 10 second increments melt chocolate and oil in a microwave oven until melted. Drizzle melted chocolate onto surface of pie.