Coconut Lemon Layer Cake
- Lemon Curd
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks (reserve whites for cake)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- Coconut Cake
- 5 egg whites (reserved from lemon curd)
- 1/2 cup sweetened cream of coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut flavoring
- 3 cups cake flour*
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature & cut into 16 pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons cream of coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut flavoring (extract)
- Pinch salt or to taste
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted - for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a medium-sized bowl,cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in eggs, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt until combined. Pour mixture into a saucepan and heat on low, stirring frequently until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- TIP: If for some reason the eggs over-cook, strain the lemon curd through a fine mesh strainer and it will be perfectly fine to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round pans or line bottoms of pans with a circle of parchment paper to ensure no sticking.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk egg whites, cream of coconut and coconut flavoring together. Set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter pieces and coconut milk, mixing on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in egg white mixture and stir until just incorporated. Distribute batter to prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely before assembling.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth with no lumps. Reduce speed to low and add confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing until combined. Add cream of coconut, coconut flavoring and salt and mix until smooth.
- Once cake is completely cooled, place one cake layer on a cake stand or platter. Spread half of the lemon curd on top and top with another cake layer. Spread the rest of the lemon curd on top of that and top with last cake layer. Place cake in the refrigerator for 10 minutes so the lemon curd doesn’t ooze out the sides when frosting. Remove from refrigerator and frost the outside and top of cake with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. Cover frosting with toasted coconut.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @sprinklesomesugar.