Coconut Mousse with Strawberry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in cold water.
- Mix light cream and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat almost to a boil. Remove from the heat and add gelatin. Stir until dissolved.
- Put the mixture into refrigerator. Stir every 15 minutes until it thickens.
- Whip the cream. Add vanilla and coconut. Gently fold in gelatin mixture.
- Pour into glasses or molds and chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Make the strawberry sauce while the mousse is setting. Hull and wash strawberries. Crush and cover in sugar. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Serve coconut mousse with strawberry sauce.
This recipe originally appeared in the 1972 Dixie Crystals "Walt Disney World Vacation Kingdom" Cookbook.