Coconut Pecan Layer Cake
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredding coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Creamy White Frosting
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 box (1 lb), sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream shortening with butter until well blended. Add sugar and continue creaming until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Whisk flour with baking soda and salt until well blended and add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla extract, coconut and chopped pecans.
- Preheat over to 325°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. Divide batter evenly among pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back lightly if gently pressed in center with your finger tips.
- Cool layers in pans 10 minutes on a rack to complete cooling.
Creamy White Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until smooth. Add coconut extract and beat until creamy and smooth. Spread evenly between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Recipe from 1994 HomeMade Good News.