Copycat Keebler Fudge Stripes™ Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar for several minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. In three additions, add flour. Mix on low until incorporated, then increase mixer speed to medium-low and beat until a dough forms and starts to pull away from bowl.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/4-inch thick. Cut using two circle cookie cutters, one small and one medium, or use a donut cookie cutter. If using circle cutters, use small one to cut out a hole in center of cookies. Reroll scraps.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until baked through. Time will vary depending on size of cookies. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Line 4 cookie sheets with waxed paper or fresh parchment paper. Place fudge coating ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 30-second intervals at 50% power. Stir after each interval, repeating until melted and smooth. Do not overheat.
- Dip bottoms of cookies into fudge coating. Alternately, use a small offset spatula to spread. Place onto two of prepared cookie sheets and refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
- Pour remaining melted chocolate into a piping bag. Snip tip. Pipe four stripes across dipped cookie on cookie sheets. Immediately after striping, place cookies onto fresh, lined cookie sheets. (Leaving cookies on sheet where stripes were piped over will cause chocolate to break off of cookies after it sets.) Place in refrigerator to set.
- Once chocolate has set, cookies are best stored in refrigerator between layers of waxed paper.