Copycat Twix Bars
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- Pinch salt
- 2 cans (14 oz each) Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch of paper hanging over sides.
- In a mixing bowl, beat softened butter on low speed until fluffy.
- Stir in powder sugar and beat until just combined.
- Gently, fold in flour and salt until flour is incorporated. The dough should be still crumbly. Do not overmix!
- With the back of a spoon (or your fingers) spread cookie base in prepared pan. Prick it all over with a fork and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until firm to touch and still very pale and barely golden on edges. Do not bake until golden brown, or bars will be very crumbly when being cut.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Make caramel layer: In a medium saucepan, add condensed milk, sugar and butter. Cook caramel over low heat until it reaches the boiling point (approximately 9-10 minutes). Once the mixture is bubbly, cook for an additional 15-16 minutes constantly stirring as mixture will burn and stick to the pan easily. When caramel is done, it will pull itself from the sides of the bowl, it has thickened, and changed color. Depending on heat source it could take 30-45 minutes of continuous stirring and cooking. The mixture needs to have the consistency/thickness of mayonnaise or dulce de leche.
- Pour caramel layer over cookie base, making sure it covers entire pan.
- Make chocolate ganache: Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. Heat heavy cream until it reaches boiling point and pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 30 seconds and stir to create a smooth chocolate mixture. If chocolate is not melted all the way through, place it in microwave for 20-30 seconds or on top of a pan with boiling water making sure chocolate bowl does not touch water.
- Pour chocolate over caramel layer and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate entire pan for 1-2 hours until chocolate is set.
- With a sharp knife, cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
- Use the best quality chocolate (60-70% cocoa) that you can find. The higher the cocoa percentage, the lower the overall sugar content. It is cocoa mass that gives firmness to sauces, ganache etc., while sugar makes it thinner.
- To make dessert in same style as Twix®, once caramel layer is poured over cookie base let it cool completely before cutting into thin, finger-width bars.
- Using two forks or dipping tools, dip each bar into melted chocolate, covering completely.
- Place chocolate covered bars onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper or aluminum foil and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- If choosing this option, double the amount of chocolate and heavy cream listed in ingredients.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.
®/™TWIX is a trademark of Mars, Inc. ©Mars, Incorporated 2014. All rights reserved.