Corn Syrup Free Chocolate Chip Mint Marshmallows
- Nonstick spray
- 3 envelopes gelatin (7 teaspoons)
- 2/3 cup room temperature water (1)
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup water (2)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon green food color (for a natural coloring choose chlorophyll from natural food store)
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Evenly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin and water (1), fit with whip attachment and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water (2) and cover with a lid. Boil for 3 minutes and remove lid. Attach a thermometer on side of pan and boil until syrup reaches 240°F. Do not stir syrup as this may cause it to crystallize.
- Remove from heat, engage mixer in medium speed and while whipping pour hot syrup in a slow and steady stream onto whipping gelatin. Once all combined engage mixer in high speed. Add salt.
- Whip until mixture feels lukewarm and looks like marshmallow fluff, about 8-12 minutes. Add food color and mint extract (add more for a stronger flavor). Add chocolate chips and stop mixer, scrape marshmallow into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Dust with a partial amount of powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight while covered with plastic food wrap.
- Next day remove from pan and cut into desired size, toss generously into powdered sugar.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Use caution while working with hot syrups as they can cause severe burns. Working in a calm environment is essential.
- Once you realize how easy it is to make your own marshmallows, you will never go back to store-bought. Homemade marshmallows are more light and airy than the packaged kind.