Costa Rica Raisin Cake
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup light rum or more orange juice
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour hot water onto raisins and set aside.
- Butter and flour a 10 inch tube pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- With beater, mix butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat for several minutes until light add eggs one at a time waiting for each egg to be fully incorporated and beating at least an extra minute before adding next. Scrape bowl often.
- Add salt, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Add 1/4 of flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Scrape bowl well. Combine orange juice and Rum and add 1/3 and mix until combined. Add another 1/4 of flour and mix. Repeat with another1/3 of orange juice followed by flour. Repeat process and mix until smooth.
- Drain raisins very well and mix into batter.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.