Cotton Tail Cream Puffs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons bread or all-purpose flour*
- 4-5 large eggs
- 2 pints raspberries
- 1/2 cup raspberry fruit spread
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Few drops pink or red food color
- 1/2 cup sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- 24 Jordan almonds
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients, bring milk, water, salt, sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat source and rapidly stir in flour with a wooden or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to heat and stir over medium heat for at least 2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and leaves a dry looking dough type of film on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a stand mixer or hand-held mixer. Either drop batter in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment or in a regular bowl.
- Mix in, one at a time, 4 of 5 eggs, waiting for the previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until mixture is smooth and shiny. Mixture should be glossy and be slightly firmer than mayonnaise. If it still a little too firm, beat remaining egg and add just enough for mixture to be glossy yet firm enough to hold a piped shape.
- Fill a piping bag with a round tip of approximately 1/3-1/2-inch diameter. Pipe batter onto baking sheets into 24 even mounds about one inch apart.
- Place in oven at 375ºF and after 5 minutes reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake until very dry, crisp and deep golden. About 38-43 minutes.
- Once puffs have cooled, using scissors cut a small quarter size opening on the top of puffs.
- Place 2-3 raspberries in each puff followed by a generous teaspoon of raspberry fruit spread.
- In a cold bowl whip heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract to soft peaks, add a few drops pink or red food color and whip until the cream makes firm peaks. Do not keep whipping as the cream would become heavy and turn into butter.
- Fill cream in a piping bag with a plain 1/8-inch-wide pastry tube. Pipe some cream into puffs and pipe swirls of cream on the surface.
- Sprinkle edges with coconut and place a Jordan almond on the surface. Keep refrigerated.
Do not underbake the cream puffs as this will cause the puffs to collapse. When you believe they are done, take one (ugly) cream puff out of oven and feel sides; it should feel crisp. Let sit for 3-4 minutes, if it does not collapse, remove others from the oven.