Crab Cake Amuse Bouche With Spicy Mango Cilantro Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh tarragon or parley
- 1 tablespoon diced dill pickle
- 1 container, 16-ounce lump crab meat
- Panko bread crumbs (for an exterior surface crunch)
- Mango Cilantro Sauce
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/6th of a seeded jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper
- If baking crab cakes as soon as they are made, prepare sauce first. (Step 8).
- In a medium pan and on medium heat, sauté shallots and garlic until soft; do not allow to brown. Set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt, pepper, tarragon, and diced pickle. Add sautéed ingredients. Add crab meat.
- Shape mixture into tablespoon sized amounts into round balls. Do not be tempted to add panko to make the process easier. Filling will be very soft and appear that it will not hold properly, including slight dripping ingredients on the edges.
- Dip bottom of each ball in a small amount of panko and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- If baking later, cover pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, sprinkle with panko and place in a 385°F preheated oven for about 12-14 minutes. If made into large crab cakes, bake for 20-25 minutes. If desired, pop under broiler to make panko slightly crisper.
- Transfer using a pie server onto amuse bouche spoons or preheated plates and serve with mango sauce.
- For Mango Cilantro Sauce, peel mango and remove flesh from pit. Place in a blender with sugar and lime juice and mix until completely smooth.
- Add 1/6 of a seeded jalapeno pepper and mix until jalapeno is in smaller pieces but not completely pulverized. Taste the sauce, add more jalapeno to your taste.
- Pour in a dish. Add chopped basil, cilantro and onion and add to above. Season with salt and pepper.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: Make these ahead and keep in the refrigerator until ready to be baked.