Cranberry Almond Swirl Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
Cranberry Almond Filling
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar followed by 1 egg. Once well incorporated and mixture is smooth, add remaining egg.
- Add salt and almond extract and mix until light and creamy.
- Add dry ingredients and mix very briefly until just combined.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces and place on plastic food film-lined cookie sheets. Roll about 1/4-inch thick and place in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cranberries, almonds, and sugar into a fine mealy mixture in a food processor. Set aside.
- On a sheet of lightly-floured parchment paper, roll 1 piece of dough into a rectangle measuring 10 x 13 inches long. If dough sticks a little, sprinkle with flour and flip upside down onto another sheet of parchment. You can always return dough to freezer if needed.
- Sprinkle dough with 1/2 of cranberry filling and spread very evenly over entire surface.
- On the 10-inch wide edge side, roll dough forward into a spiral. Roll log into a parchment sheet. Continue with remaining dough and filling. Place both logs in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once logs have been in freezer for about 30 minutes (or overnight), cut in slices about 1/6-inch thick and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until cookies turn light golden on edges.
- Let rest on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool.