Cranberry Chocolate Orange Mandel Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Zest from 2 oranges, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted*
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12 ounce semi sweet chocolate bar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, granulated sugar, oil, sour cream, vanilla, zest from 1 orange and salt with an electric mixer or stand mixer.
- Then add in baking powder and flour and combine just until mixed. Stir in slivered almonds and cranberries. Over the dough and refrigerate for at least two hours or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Divide dough into two pieces and with wet hands, form into two logs, about 4 inches by 12 inches. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove mandel bread from oven and carefully cut into 1/2 inch – 3/4 inch slices.
- Put the slices back on the cookie sheets and bake an additional 5-7 minutes per side or until crispy. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and add zest from 1 orange. Dip the ends of the mandel bread in chocolate and dry on parchment paper.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Amy Kritzer @whatjewwannaeat.