Cranberry Orange Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped in half
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup white chocolate for drizzling cookies (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon any vegetable oil
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or coat with butter. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add both sugars and mix until fluffy. Add orange zest, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients in one step and mix just until almost combined. Add cranberries and pecan pieces and mix as little as possible.
- For smaller cookies use an ice cream scoop that holds 2 tablespoons water or for larger cookies use a scoop holding 4 tablespoons. Place on cookies sheets about 1-inch apart for small and 1 1/2-inches apart for large cookies.
- Place in oven and bake until edges are light golden, about 9-10 minutes for small and 10-12 minutes for large cookies.
- Once cookies are room temperature they can be drizzled with chocolate. Place chocolate and oil in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in 10-second increments until melted. Drizzle onto cookies.
- Place in oven and bake until edges become light golden, about 11-12 minutes. Center of cookies will still feel very soft when being removed, but will firm as they cool.