Cranberry Praline Slab Pie
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup salted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 2/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Praline Topping
- 2 cups roughly chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix egg yolk and water together and mix into flour until it forms a ball. Roll out to fit bottom of a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan. Press into pan and up sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Toss fresh cranberries until coated evenly. Spread in prepared crust, piling berries in center and using less along edges. Drizzle orange juice over cranberries.
- Place in ove and bake for 30 minutes.
- While pie is baking, prepare topping. In a large bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, salt, syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle topping evenly over pie. Place pie back into the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, until cranberries are tender and bubbly and topping is browned.
Recipe developed by Kristan Roland @bakescupcakes.