- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 4 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Orange icing or food coloring
- Optional: Orange zest
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line standard muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and then add vanilla.
- Beat in baking powder, salt and orange zest. Lastly, add flour alternately with milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, pour into paper liners (should fill 2/3 of liner). Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes on wire racks. While cupcakes cool, make the icing.
- For icing, combine butter and shortening in medium bowl. Cream with mixer on medium speed until well blended (about 3 - 5 minutes). Add vanilla and orange juice and reduce mixer to low speed.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, making sure each addition is well mixed before adding the next. Add milk and mix on high speed for 1 minute.
- Lastly, stir in food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Pipe on icing using a large star tip. If you don’t have a pastry bag or tip, you can use a plastic sandwich bag by reinforcing one of the edges with tape (to keep it from busting). Then, snip with a zig-zag pattern until you reach a star shape. If desired, sprinkle orange zest and add orange candies for decoration.