Creamy Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 16 ounces good quality chocolate*
- 5 tablespoons butter, soft
- 2 - 4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Spread a thin layer of oil into an 8 x 8 inch pan. Press a sheet of plastic food wrap tightly onto oil and pressing well into corners, set aside.
- Chop chocolate into pea size pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan bring sugar and water to a full boil. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour onto chopped chocolate, add butter and gently whisk until no chocolate lumps remain. Add 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract and determine if it is strong enough to your liking in peppermint flavor. Add more if desired.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on top of fudge and place in a refrigerator. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Lift out fudge by pulling on plastic. Cut into squares. Keep refrigerated.
*good quality chocolate will always give the best results in candy making. Less expensive chocolate will not give a delectable smooth result. For this fudge choose chocolate containing about 55-65% cocoamass. Lower numbers will make the fudge slightly sweeter while higher numbers will make it stronger in chocolate flavor and it will be less sweet.