- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange (no white bitter pith)
- Zest of 1 lemon (no white bitter pith)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons orange liquor
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons cognac or additional orange liquor
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Excluding flour combine ingredients for crepes in a blender (or use a large bowl and whisk).
- Blend/whisk ingredients until smooth. Add half of flour and blend/whisk until smooth and no lumps remain. Add remaining flour and blend until very smooth.
- Rest batter for one hour.
- On medium, heat a Teflon or ceramic coated pan and spray with cooking spray. Using a ladle pour a small amount of batter in pan (just enough to coat entire surface) and swirl pan to spread batter evenly.
- After a minute or when bottom of crepe is golden, flip it over by sliding a spatula underneath. Leave crepe on pan until nicely golden.
- Crepes can be stacked without parchment or plastic film in between. Set aside until you are ready to turn Crepes into Crepe Suzette.
- For the Crepe Suzette, bring orange and lemon juice to a near boil and keep ready.
- Add sugar in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow sugar to melt all by itself, when most of the sugar has obtained a light honey color add the hot orange juice. The mixture will create a lot of steam so be careful and you will see some caramel clumps.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until all caramel lumps have dissolved, then add butter, orange liquor, orange zest, and a pinch of salt.
- Place a crepe in the heated sauce and coat it well on both sides. Using tongs, fold it in half and then into quarters. Keep crepe inside pan on side.
- Repeat with seven more crepes.
- Pour cognac into pan and carefully ignite the sauce to flambée crepes.
- Place two crepes per person on warm plates and drizzle with additional sauce. Serve with chocolate or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Crepes can be made well in advance and frozen or refrigerated. Reheat crepes in a microwave when ready to turn them into Crepe Suzette.