- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 (.25oz) packages active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Bring milk to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool to 110°F (at this temperature milk feels comfortably warm.)
- Whisk in yeast and pour mixture in bottom of mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and 1 stick of butter.
- Using dough hook, mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed. Stop mixing and cover bowl with plastic food wrap and place in a warm area for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until dough has doubled in volume.
- Remove dough from the bowl, which will make it collapse. This is normal and required. Cut dough into 2 equal pieces and shape into round balls. Cover with plastic food wrap and allow to rise for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of dough into a round circle measuring 15-inches in diameter.
- Spread half of remaining stick of butter onto circle. If butter is too firm, soften it very lightly in the microwave oven. However, butter that is too soft will make crescents hard to roll.
- Cut the circle into 12 or 16 triangles (as a pizza), depending if you prefer smaller or slightly larger Danish rolls.
- Roll triangles from the wide base towards the point into a crescent. Place on parchment or buttered cookie sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough. If you are baking rolls, immediately turn on oven at 350°F.
- Cover with plastic food wrap to prevent a crust from forming. Place in a warm place until the rolls have gained 75 percent in volume.
- If you prefer, at this stage you may place the rolls in the refrigerator and bake tomorrow.
- Remove plastic and place in oven (directly from fridge). Bake for about 12 minutes or until light golden. Cool on wire racks.
- If desired brush with melted butter.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Rolls can be made a day ahead of baking, making it very easy to serve warm and fresh early in the morning or making it a breeze for your brunch party.