Crockpot Beef Stew
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound small potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 pounds angus sirloin stew meat
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Wash and chop vegetables. Set aside.
- Toss beef in flour, corn starch, thyme, garlic salt, and brown sugar until each piece is well coated.
- Add oil to a large, hot pan and sear beef, being careful not to crowd pan. Brown on each side, but do not cook through. Cook beef in multiple batches to ensure a good caramelized crust on each piece.
- Add browned beef to crockpot.
- Add butter and onions to pan and cook until onions are translucent. Scrape bottom of pan during cooking to incorporate meat and flour drippings. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Pour onion and garlic over beef in crockpot. Add vegetables, red wine, beef broth, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.