Daisy Sugar Spoons
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon water, plus more if needed
- 1 drop blue food coloring
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 8 plastic spoons, plus 1 extra
- 2 1/2 teaspoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Yellow and green food coloring
- For Sugar Spoons, pour granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon water, and 1 drop blue food coloring into bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until really well blended.
- Pinch sugar in your hand. If it sticks together, it’s ready. If not, add more water, one drop at a time, until it does stick together.
- Brush a light coating of corn syrup on interior of a plastic spoon.
- Scoop out some sugar mixture using the coated spoon. The corn syrup will help the sugar stick to the spoon.
- Take another dry spoon, turn it upside down and in the opposite direction, and set over top of the colored sugar on the first spoon to compress it into an egg shape on coated spoon.
- Brush away any excess sugar then remove dry spoon.
- Repeat, creating a total of 8 sugar spoons.
- Allow spoons to dry for 30 minutes before decorating.
- For Royal Icing, pour warm water and meringue powder in a small mixing bowl.
- Stir until foamy and well mixed.
- Sift powdered sugar over bowl and mix using a whisk or an electric mixer until glossy and smooth.
- Dip a food-use-only paint brush into white royal icing then paint daisy petals onto all of the sugar spoons.
- Color 1 teaspoon of remaining icing yellow and the remaining sugar green.
- Paint a yellow dot in the center of the daisy petals then add some leaves below the flower.
- Allow the decorated spoons to dry for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with tea or coffee.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.