Danish Butter Cookie Thumbprints
- 1 3/4 cups minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 1/3 cup raspberry or other fruit spread
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare a pastry bag with a large star tip. Using a food storage bag instead of a pastry bag is not recommended, this cookie batter is rather stiff and will easily break the bag. Alternatively, a cookie press can also be used.
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or spread with a thin film of butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until well blended, but not until light and fluffy. Mixing to a light and fluffy consistency will make the cookies expand too much in oven and marks of piping tip would completely dissolve.
- Add egg white, salt, cardamom, vanilla, almond extract, and zest.
- Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Fill pastry bag with only a small amount of dough to make piping easier. Pipe dough in rosettes on cookie sheets about 3/4 inch apart.
- Dip a thumb or finger in a little water and then make a little well in center of piped dough.
- Fill center with fruit spread and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Place in oven for about 10 minutes or until light golden on edges.
- Once cookies have cooled place in airtight bags.