Danish Cream & Meringue Cake (Kvaefjordkake)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 generous cup sliced almonds
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond liqueur (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line bottom and sides of a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spreading a touch of oil on pan first will make paper stick better. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Separate eggs ensuring that no yolk traces enter egg whites. Set aside. Keep egg whites at room temperature.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy. If mixture is too cold to reach a fluffy texture, run a hair dryer on outsides of bowl.
- Add egg yolks one at a time waiting for previously added yolk to be incorporated. Heating with hair dryer may be necessary to keep mixture fluffy.
- Add buttermilk and stir to combine. Add flour in one step and gently mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread cake batter evenly into prepared pan. Set aside. Do not place in oven yet.
- In a clean bowl whip 5 egg whites and gradually add sugar. Whip to stiff peaks. Add vanilla.
- Spread meringue onto cake batter. Sprinkle evenly with sliced almonds.
- Place in oven at 330°F for about 37 minutes. Cake may become bubbly in parts which can be ignored. To check for doneness, cut a small edge of side of cake. Let cool in pan.
- Prepare custard by placing egg yolks in saucepan. Add a quarter of milk and whisk together. Add remaining milk and cream and combine. Add corn starch and sugar.
- Place over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it reaches a boil and makes thick bubbles. Once it has thickened stop whisking as it can break down corn starch and make custard runny. Add vanilla and liqueur, if using, and stir in.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic food wrap. Either place bowl in an ice bath or place in refrigerator. Do not stir custard as it is cooling.
- Lift cake out of pan by holding sides of parchment paper. Cut cake crosswise in half.
- Place on cake half upside down (meringue facing serving tray). Remove parchment.
- Spread cake half with cold custard.
- Remove parchment from other cake half and place it onto cake assembly.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. If desired decorate or serve with fruit.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments