Death By Chocolate Drip Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water (or coffee)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make chocolate cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare three 8-inch round cake pans by greasing them well and coating them with flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add sour cream mixture to flour mixture until everything is just combined. Add in the hot water and mix until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 20-22 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- To make chocolate frosting, use an electric mixer and beat butter on high until it is nice and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, and milk. Start mixing on low, and once combined, turn to high and beat until fluffy.
- To assemble cake, place the first layer of cake on a serving platter or large plate. Reserve about 3/4 cup of frosting for the swirls on top.
- Top first layer of cake with about 1/4 of frosting, spreading evenly across the top. Place the next layer of cake over frosting and repeat with remaining frosting and cake layers. Use an offset spatula to coat top and sides completely in frosting.
- For chocolate ganache, pour heavy cream into a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 35 seconds. Remove and add chocolate chips. Let it stand for about a minute. Stir until smooth. Let it set up for 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken and won't make a mess on your cake.
- Start by slowly pouring a little bit of ganache along the edge of the cake all the way around, letting it drip down the sides. Pour remaining ganache into center of cake. Use a spatula to gently spread over the top, and push just a little over edges if you want more drips.
- Place cake in fridge and let it set up for an hour before decorating top.
- Add reserved chocolate to a piping bag with a swirl tip (suggest Wilton 1M), and pipe swirls along edges around the cake.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.