Devil’s Food Halloween Tie Dyed Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Orange decorator gel
- Black decorator gel
- Green decorator gel
- Halloween sugar candies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add all of ingredients to bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth; batter will be thick.
- Use a scoop to divide batter evenly between muffins tins. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip - all ingredients must be at room temperature to ensure a smooth batter. If you do not have a food processor, cream butter and sugar together. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add butter to bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until butter is pale, very smooth and makes a slapping sound as it hits sides of the bowl, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar one cup at a time. Mix until it is incorporated before adding next cup.
- Scrape sides of bowl and add vanilla, salt and cream. Increase speed to high, beat until whipped, light and perfectly smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip. Draw lines up sides of bag in alternating colors with decorator gel. Add frosting and pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top with Halloween candies.