Dutch Apple Pie
- 1, 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, sliced thin
- 3 cups Honeycrisp or Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (cubed)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add prepared pie crust to a 9-inch pie plate. (If using pre-packaged, you’ll use only one crust of a 2 crust package.)
- Prick bottom of crust and place on top of a rimmed cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour tossing to ensure apples are coated.
- Spoon apples into prepared pie crust.
- Prepare topping by combining flour, brown sugar, and oats in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples.
- Tent pie loosely with aluminum foil, or use a pie shield to cover the crust edges.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, remove foil, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until apples are tender and top is golden brown.
- Allow pie to set and cool completely before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- This recipe tastes great with a combination of sweet and tart apples. Red Delicious for their sweetness and Granny Smith for an apple that retains a bit of its crunch. You could also use all Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples.
- Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @AimeeBroussard.com.