Dutch Baby (German Pancake)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet on middle rack in the oven. Heat oven to 425°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk 4 eggs about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and sugar. Whisk in flour and salt just until combined. Some small lumps may remain. Set aside until oven is thoroughly heated.
- Remove hot skillet from oven and working quickly, swirl 1 tablespoon of butter oven bottom and up the sides. Pour in batter. Drop remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in chunks over the batter. Immediately return pan to oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes. The pancake will poof in the oven then quickly deflate once removed. Serve from skillet or remove to a serving plate. Sift powdered sugar over the top. Cut into wedges to serve warm with a squeeze of lemon.
This may be made in a 12-inch skillet. The resulting pancake will be thinner with crispier edges.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.