Easter Egg Lemon Cake Bites
- 1 cup cake flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 (11 oz) bags classic white chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Yellow, pink and blue food color gel (do NOT use liquid!)
- Sprinkles or nonpareils, if desired
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Butter and flour 1 8- or 9-inch baking pan and set aside. (Fit a round piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the baking pan for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until very creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg yolk at a time and mix at least 30 seconds between each.
- Add salt, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add 1/2 of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-28 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Remove cake from oven and rest in pan. After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool completely before mixing with lemon curd.
- Make lemon curd: In a non-reactive saucepan bring lemon juice, zest and 1/2 of sugar to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs for 2 minutes and quickly whisk in remaining sugar. Pour 1/2 of boiling lemon syrup into eggs and beat well. Pour tempered egg mixture into remaining lemon syrup and whisk back to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while constantly whisking. Remove from heat and pour into a clean bowl. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add SOFT butter in small nuggets and stir with a spatula. If butter was too cold and refuses to become smooth in the curd, place for a few seconds in the microwave. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Trim top, bottom, and sides of cake removing all brown parts.
- Crumble cake into a bowl, setting aside a handful of crumbs.
- Add about 1/2 cup of lemon curd to crumbled cake and mix well. Keep adding lemon curd 1 tablespoon at a time to obtain a moist mixture that can be shaped into balls. You will NOT use all the lemon curd; however it is tasty on toast or biscuits in the morning.
- Shape into 1 tablespoon sized balls. Allow to set for about 15 minutes. If the ball doesn't hold, add the reserved cake crumbs from step 12 above. Shape into egg shapes. Set aside onto plastic food film lined cookie sheets.
- Fill a sauce pan with 1-inch water and bring to a boil. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil in bowl along with one bag of white chocolate chips. Place over boiling water and turn heat to low simmer. Stir until melted.
- Using a finger dab a small amount of melted white chocolate on the underside of each egg and place on plastic lined cookie sheets. (This will make dipping the eggs easier.)
- Using a fork, pierce egg on chocolate coated side, dip into melted white chocolate and coat completely. Slide egg onto plastic food film lined cookie sheets.
- Dip several eggs into melted white chocolate chips. Next add yellow gel food coloring to tint white chocolate yellow. Reheat if necessary. Dip eggs in yellow chocolate. Reserve a few tablespoons of yellow chocolate in a small bowl for decorating later.
- Add a few drops of blue gel food coloring to yellow melted chips to make it pale green. Dip eggs and set aside some green colored chocolate for decorating.
- Melt remaining bag of chips with 1 tablespoon oil and place into 2 bowls. Tint 1 blue and 1 pink. Dip remaining eggs.
- Fill small piping bags with remaining colored chocolate. Reheat as necessary. Decorate eggs as desired.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments