Easy Peach Praline Cobbler
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen unsweetened peaches
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening or butter
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and cinnamon, then stir mixture with cold water in a large Dutch oven until smooth. Add frozen peaches and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until peaches are defrosted and juice has thickened. Remove peaches from heat and stir in vanilla. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and fill with peaches.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix melted butter with light brown sugar and pecans. Set this aside.
- Combine self-rising flour with baking soda, dark brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut shortening or butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually stir in buttermilk to form a dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and springy, dusting with extra flour to keep it from sticking.
- Roll dough out to a 12 x 8 rectangle and sprinkle with pecan mixture. Roll dough up, like a jellyroll, beginning roll on one of 12-inch sides. Once dough is rolled up, cut into 1/2 inch slices and arrange over peaches. Bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is puffed and lightly browned.
- Cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt.