- 1/2 cup water, warm (about 80°F)
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups, a medley of raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup almond, orange liquor, or orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup minus 2 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom or allspice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, very soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons concentrated frozen orange juice or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For sponge, in a machine mixing bowl, whisk together water and yeast. Add flour and whisk to combine. Cover with plastic food wrap and set aside in a warm place until doubled.
- Combine dried fruits and nuts with liquor and set aside. Stir occasionally for fruits to equally hydrate.
- Once sponge is doubled in volume, combine remaining water and yeast and add to machine bowl. Add egg, flour, sugar, honey, salt, spice, and vanilla extract.
- Using a dough hook mix ingredients to an elastic dough. This will take about 7-9 minutes on medium speed.
- During mixing process keep an eye on temperature making sure it does not exceed 80°F.
- Gradually add pieces of very soft butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. Dough cannot exceed 82°F as this will create a sticky dough resulting in a product that will dry out fast. If needed, rest dough to cool.
- Add dried fruit/nut mixture and mix until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, this will make dough collapse and is normal and is required.
- Fold dough over on itself a few times and place into prepared pan. Cover with plastic and let rise until 70% larger (not doubled in size.) Turn on oven to 350°F.
- Bake for approximately 43-46 minutes, cake is fully done when an inserted thermometer registers 200°F.
- Remove from pan and let cool.
- Mix powdered sugar with water and vanilla to a smooth glaze. Drizzle on cake.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.
You may experiment with adding other spices, but remember that cinnamon stops yeast development. That is why you only see cinnamon being swirled into breads and not thoroughly mixed in.