English White Chocolate Pecan Toffee
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate (preferably high quality bar)
- 1 cup pecan halves and or pieces
- Optional: Fleur de sel or coarse sea salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Set aside a silicone baking mat or line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spread with a thin layer of cooking oil (not olive oil) set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, sugar, honey and salt and stir to a boil with a heat resistant or flat bottom wooden spatula. Once boiling turn heat to medium and stir until mixture reaches 295°F-300°F.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Stir to combine and immediately pour mixture on prepared surface.
- Allow to cool completely before working with chocolate.
- Chop chocolate in small even pieces and place in a plastic bowl. Heat in microwave oven in 6-7 second increments and shake and or stir in between heatings.
- When chocolate is about 2/3 melted stir until the remaining chocolate is mostly melted. Even if some lumps remain it will not affect the final product. Overheating chocolate will result in chocolate that does not firm properly!
- If a buttery-oily surface is present on toffee remove with paper towel. Spread chocolate onto cool toffee surface.
- Immediately scatter pecans onto chocolate followed by a sprinkle of salt.
- Place in a refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.