- 1 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- If using raw hazelnuts, scatter them on a cookie sheet and place in a 340°F oven for about 15 minutes or until fragrant and interior is light golden when cut in half. If using pre-toasted omit this step. Once cool enough to handle, chop 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts in small pieces. Remaining ones are used for decoration.
- Preheat oven to 385°F. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt. Place in bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add vanilla, egg whites, and instant coffee.
- Mix ingredients with paddle attachment and mix for 5 minutes or until mixture is nearly as thick as sour cream. Add hazelnut pieces and mix until combined.
- Scoop batter into 2 or 3 tablespoon size amounts and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cookies feel set when pressed lightly with a finger, about 12-14 minutes.
- Center of cookies will still feel very soft when being removed but will firm to a chewy consistency as they cool.
- While cookies are still warm place several chocolate chips on surface of cookie. Once chocolate starts to melt press several hazelnuts into melted chocolate.