Festive Cardamom Spiced Orange and Nut Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 - 6 small blood oranges and/or navel oranges, ends discarded, seeded, thinly sliced
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish, if desired
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add honey, melted butter, orange zest, corn syrup, and pecans. Stir to combine. Pour into pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, oil, cardamom, and buttermilk. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into pan over honey-pecan mixture. Bake 22 to 26 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine sugar, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; maintain a gentle boil for 10 to 15 minutes or until syrup has thickened and reduced. Add oranges; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve cake slices with oranges, drizzling syrup generously over slices. If desired, garnish with rosemary sprigs.