Four Layer Cake with Crème Chantilly & Berries
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 pint + 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 8-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until very creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix at least 30 seconds between each.
- Add salt, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add half of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour.
- Divide batter into pans and place in oven and bake for 25 to 28 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool completely before frosting, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile wash strawberries and cut crosswise in even slices. Set aside in refrigerator. Also scatter almonds on cookie tray and place in oven until light golden and fragrant, about 11 minutes. Let cool.
- Slice cakes horizontally in half and place first layer on a serving tray.
- In a cold bowl whip heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until medium firm peaks. Do not over-whip as it will turn into butter.
- Spread a 1/4 inch layer of whipped cream on cake layer, cover with 1/3 of cut strawberries and blueberries.
- Top with a cake layer and another layer of cream, strawberries and blueberries. Repeat with another layer of cream and remaining berries.
- Place last cake layer on top and frost cake with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with cooled and toasted almonds.
- Keep in refrigerator until one hour before serving.