Fresh Cranberry Relish
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 pieces (about 1.5-2 inches each) crystallized ginger
- Zest of one orange
- 3 Cara Cara oranges
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 2 bags (12 oz each) fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Pour sugar into a food processor. Add orange zest and crystallized ginger. Pulse to break up ginger, then run on high until ginger is in small pieces and well combined with sugar. Pour into a large bowl. (No need to wash the food processor bowl.)
- Cut ends off of oranges and cut away peel and pith. Segment the oranges into a small bowl, cutting between membranes. Squeeze juice from oranges “carcasses” into bowl with segments and set aside.
- Core apple and cut into large chunks. Place in food processor and run on high until finely chopped. Empty into bowl with orange-ginger sugar.
- Process cranberries, in two batches, if necessary, on high until in small pieces. Add to bowl with sugar and apples.
- Place orange segments in food processor. Pulse a few times until roughly chopped. Add pieces and reserved juice to bowl.
- Add grated ginger and stir well. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours. May be made two days ahead.
Cara Cara orange can substituted with navel oranges.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.