Fresh Fruit Charlotte
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoon almond liquor
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit of choice
- Bring first listed sugar and water to a full boil and set aside until cooled.
- Spread a thin layer of cooking oil in an 8 or 9-inch spring form pan. Line bottom and sides of pan with plastic food wrap.
- Cut one rounded end of ladyfingers to ensure that they will sit straight up in the prepared pan. Arrange ladyfingers snugly into prepared pan.
- Combine cooled syrup and almond liquor. Dip remaining ladyfingers into the syrup until very moist and place on bottom of pan. Continue until most gaps are filled.
- Combine gelatin and 3 tablespoon water with a small spoon and set aside.
- Heat milk and second listed sugar close to a boil. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture. Whisk smooth and set aside.
- In a cold bowl, whip first listed whipping cream to very soft peaks. Do not whip until firm enough to decorate a pie! Set aside.
- Pour milk-gelatin mixture into a bowl large enough to hold whipped cream as well. Add vanilla.
- Place the bowl into a bowl or sink filled with ice cubes. Continually stir milk mixture until it starts to slightly thicken.
- Remove bowl from ice and add whipped cream, gently stir until well combined.
- Before proceeding to fill cream into the prepared ladyfinger lined pan, the cream needs to be a thickness close to the consistency of mayonnaise. If not, cream will seep through the ladyfinger gaps. If needed, place cream for a few minutes into and ice bowl while stirring until the right consistency is obtained.
- Using a ladle, fill about half of cream into pan. Dip some remaining ladyfingers into syrup and place on top of cream.
- Fill pan with remaining cream up to edge of tops of ladyfingers. Place in the refrigerator for several hours until filling has set.
- Remove spring form pan and lift cake onto a serving platter.
- Whip remaining whipping cream, remaining sugar and vanilla to firm peaks. Fill into a piping bag fitted with large star tip.
- Pipe rosettes along edge of cake.
- Fill center with choice of fruits. Sprinkle fruit with powdered sugar.
- Remove cake at least 30 minutes from refrigerator before serving.
NOTE: A 7 ounce package of store-bought ladyfingers can be used in place of homemade.