Fresh Strawberry Slab Pie
- One half package puff pastry (one 10x15-inch sheet)
- 6-7 cups uncooked beans, uncooked rice or pie weights
- 3/4 package (6 ounces) cream cheese
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups whipping or heavy cream
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam, preserves or fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Defrost puff pastry according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Set aside a 9x12-inch cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle flour on a sheet of plastic food wrap. Roll puff pastry on floured plastic surface just large enough to cover sides of pan. If at any time dough becomes soft or sticky, slide plastic and dough onto a cookie sheet and place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Place dough onto pan ensuring that it hangs slightly over sides.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper into pan covering bottom and sides of dough. Make cuts into parchment to obtain a tight fit in corners of pan.
- Pour beans/rice/ pie weights onto parchment ensuring that beans come well up to edges of pan, the center of pan can be filled halfway.
- Place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until sides are light golden.
- Remove from oven and using an ice cream scoop remove beans and parchment paper.
- Prick bottom and sides of dough and return to oven. Keep a close eye on dough to ensure that it does not start to make big air pocket bubbles. If so, prick with a fork.
- Bake until deep golden in color, about 15 minutes more. Baking puff pastry too light makes for a soggy result. Remove from oven and let cool on pan.
- Blend soft cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed, alternatively mix by using a handheld spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add vanilla.
- In a cold bowl, whip heavy cream to medium firm. Do not whip so stiff that you can pipe perfect rosettes with it. It needs to be slightly softer than that.
- Add whipped cream and mix gently into cream cheese mixture. Mix only until combined.
- Spread cream onto cooled puff pastry.
- Cut strawberries in half and arrange on top of cream.
- Vigorously stir jam or fruit spread to make it more fluid. Using a brush or a spoon, spread a thin coat onto berries.
- Serve immediately.