Frontier Pecan Cake
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- Optional Crème Chantilly
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease bottom only of a 10-inch tube pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale yellow, add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Combine milk, vanilla, and dissolved coffee. Add alternatively to batter with dry ingredients. Fold in pecans.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until done. Cool in pan on rack. Remove from pan.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Keeps well when tightly wrapped. This recipe appeared in Imperial Sugar’s 150th Anniversary Cookbook.