Frosted Fudge Cake
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchement paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add flour, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined.
- With mixer still on low add in eggs, oil, vanilla and water. Mix on medium low until smooth. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely in pan.
- While cake is cooling prepare frosting by combining butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, powdered sugar and 3/4 of milk in bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low until ingredients come together and slowly increase the speed to medium. Beat for 2 minutes until frosting is creamy and lighter in color.
- Reserve 2-1/2 cups frosting to cover cake.
- When cake is cooled, turn cake upside down onto parchment paper. Remove pan, but do not remove parchment paper yet.
- Cut cake sheet with a serrated knife crosswise in half. Using both hands transfer top layer of cake onto on a serving tray with parchment still on top. Peel off parchment paper. Spread unreserved fudge frosting on this cake layer.
- Carefully transfer other cake half on top of frosted cake layer and peel off parchment paper.
- Using 2 cups of the reserved frosting, mix in remaining 1/4 cup of milk to thin it a bit. Spread on top cake layer.
- Fill a piping bag or a zip-top bag with the corner cut off with last 1/2 cup of frosting and pipe swirls on top of cake.
- Store airtight for up to 3 days.
For perfect cuts, refrigerate cake for several hours prior to cutting.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.