Frosty Strawberry Squares
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients and spread evenly on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until crumbly. Remove and let cool.
- Once cooled, sprinkle 3/4 of crumbs into prepared baking pan.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, and lemon juice. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. With a hand mixer fitted with beater attachments, beat on low until sugar has dissolved and mixture reaches 160°F. Remove from heat. Beat on medium-low speed for 5 minutes. Raise mixer speed to high, and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Fold in strawberries and whipped cream.
- Spoon mixture into pan over crumbs and then top with remaining 1/4 of crumbs. Freeze 6 hours or overnight. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Recipe credit: Mary Fischer