Frozen Mocha Praline Mousse
- 1 1/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds or pecan halves
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 heaping teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Line baking sheet with sides in aluminum foil.
- Combine sugar and water and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until mixture turns a deep golden caramel color. Stir in nuts, then quickly pour mixture out onto lined baking sheet.
- Use a spatula to separate any nuts that may be stuck together and spread them evenly throughout caramel.
- Allow praline mixture to cool and harden, then peel it away from foil. Break candy into pieces and put into a food processor (fitted with a steel blade) or a blender and grind to a fine powder. (Reserve several candy pieces for decoration if desired.) Store in an airtight container in freezer until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add instant coffee and chocolate and remove from heat. Stir until chocolate has melted completely, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat 5 egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemony. Whisk in cooled chocolate mixture and brandy, and beat until smooth and thick.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they begin to hold shape.
- Turn mixer down to a low speed and add 3 tablespoons sugar, then increase speed and continue to whip until egg whites hold a firm shape, but are not too stiff.
- Clean beaters and dry them well, then whip cream until it is thick and holds a shape. Add whipped egg whites and cream to chocolate/coffee mixture and gently fold 3 mixtures together.
- Half fill dessert glasses with mousse, then sprinkle thick layer of powdered praline mixture over it. Fill to top with mousse, sprinkle on a little more praline powder, then freeze until set, about 2 hours. About 5 to 10 minutes before serving, remove from freezer and allow to stand at room temperature.
- Top with whipped cream and praline candy if desired.