German Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/3 vegetable oil (can be olive or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 large baking apples such Pink lady, Granny Smith
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 or 10-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy and lump free. Add oil and both sugars. Mix until light and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated before adding next.
- Add honey, vanilla, and salt.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and stir into above mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Peel apples and cut in quarters. Remove core. Cut each quarter lengthwise in half.
- Using a paring knife make 1/4-inch deep cuts crosswise into apple wedges. Place into cake batter.
- Place in oven and bake for about 60 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.