German Chocolate Cake Cookies
German Chocolate Topping
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture and blend until combined.
- Drop by dough by the tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- To make the topping, add evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and butter to a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and comes to a bubble, about 11 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, coconut, and pecans. Let cool. Spread over top of cooled cookies.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave according to package directions and drizzle over tops of cookies.
This recipe comes from Sweetalk member Regina McFarland who won First Place in the Favorite Cookie category at the 2019 Louisiana State Fair.